CIVIX is a national, non-profit organization dedicated to building the habits of active and engaged citizenship among youth under the voting age. CIVIX works with teachers to provide authentic learning opportunities that allow students to practice their rights and responsibilities as citizens and foster a connection with their democratic institutions. Rather than learning about civics and citizenship from a textbook, students engage firsthand with current issues and political events in real-time.
CIVIX is seeking an ambitious, hard-working and meticulous person to join CIVIX-Quebec team in its Montreal office.
The Project Coordinator will be responsible for the following tasks :
- Project coordination – Assist the CIVIX-Quebec team with overall project coordination, including database management, coordinating tasks internally and externally with vendors and general administration.
- Resource development – work collaboratively with other members of the CIVIX-Québec team to develop new and refine existing teaching resources for educators integrating concepts of the provincial curriculum, including lesson plans, videos, slide decks and online tools. . Improve already created educational resources and develop online educational materials (slides, videos, etc.);
- Research – conduct research on relevant project topics and civic education practices in Québec, Canada and elsewhere in the world;
- Outreach communications – contact teachers, schools and schools boards by phone and email to encourage participation in CIVIX-Québec programs (English and French);
- Teacher support – communicate with participating teachers on a ongoing basis by phone and email, respond to requests and questions from participants,and provide advice on program implementation (French and English);
- Event coordination – help the coordination of events such as visits between schools and elected officials as well as teachers conferences (Rep Day and Democracy Bootcamp);
- Proposal writing – Assist with proposal writing, grant applications and/or letters to potential donors.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Superior organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong research acumen
- Sound judgement and decision-making abilities
- Self-initiative and ability to prioritize
- English and French fluency is required
- Two years experience in project coordination, journalism and/or communications required
- Background in education or political science would be an asset
Language and database skills will be assessed during the interview process. The successful candidate must not have any political affiliation.
This is a one-year full-time contract with the possibility of extension based on performance.
The hourly wage will be $20-25 for about 40 hours a week. The schedule may, however, vary during election campaign periods and other political events. Some weeks may require more hours or work over the weekend.
A cover letter with a resume and two references in Word or PDF format by email to [email protected] with the job title “Project Coordinator” in the subject line.
No phone calls about the position can be accepted.
We thank all applicants in advance for the interest but we will only only contact those who have been selected for an interview.
The deadline for applications is July 13, 2018.